Most of the time in life, our career causes us to move from one place to another in search of better opportunity. And if you are owning pets, the moving procedure becomes more hectic than leaving alone. Shipping pets is no doubt a laborious task with a series of tiring steps to make the whole process hassle-free for your fondles. Pets are just not only animals that are being adopted by you, as the time goes on, they become the inevitable part of your life as well as the most adorable family members. As they are completely dependent upon you for everything, therefore it is your responsibility to ensure the safest way to transport your pet.
Moreover, in this present situation of Covid-19, The International Pet and Animal Transportation Association or IPATA has a strong suggestion for all the pet owners to postpone your idea of shifting from one place to another if there are no such emergencies. Though there are no for animals to get affected by the Coronavirus, still the possibilities can not be neglected. So, you must take good care and follow all essential precautionary measures to transfer your pet safely overseas or domestically during a pandemic period.
Lets have an elaborate discussion about shipping pet safely in any situation:
Shipping by road
Road transportation is the safest way to ship your pet interstate or domestically. Some pet owners and pet transportation agencies also prefer ground transportation over airlines or any other substitutes for pet transferring.
Some tips for safe four wheeler pet shipping:
- It is always preferred to ship your pet in the crate while traveling to any vehicle. There is a complete no no for traveling with your pet via bike or motorcycle to anywhere.
- The crate should be harnessed with a buckle and should be placed in the backseat of your vehicle. Never put your pet’s carrier in the front seat of your car.
- Never leave your vehicle’s window open while driving with your pet to avoid unpleasant affairs.
- Don’t forget your pet in the locked vehicle in the parking lot to the weather extremes. It may be fatal for your pet.
- Make your pet familiar with the traveling process by taking it for short trips and gradually increase the duration and distance of the destination. Watch carefully towards your pet’s behaviour throughout the journey and take measures accordingly.
- Take your pet for a health check up and vaccination before shipping.
Shipping by airlines or cargo holds
This is the fastest pet transportation method of all. Though there are lots of restrictions to ship pets by air, yet there is no way out to cover a long way in a short span of time as pets are impatient to move.
Some safety guidelines:
- Select an IATA registered well ventilated travel crate to ship your pet by flight or cargo holds. The crate must have multiple exits and a spring lock system.
- If it is included in the airlines’ policies, try to carry your pet in the cabin with you by paying some additional charges. As there are limitations on the number of pets that can be taken to the cabin, you should better approach in advance to avail this facility.
- Gather all the essential travel permits as well as health and vaccination certificates signed by an accredited veterinarian to avoid legal inconvenience.
- If you are having brachycephalic breed animals then it is better to skip cargo holds to ship them. Snubbed nose animals may have breathing problems in the high altitude air pressure.
- Carry necessary medications, bottled water, food, grooming supplies, first aid kits.
- Don’t overfeed your pet or make them starve or dehydrated during travel. Supply food and water to them as per their craving.
Shipping by ship
Some cruise liners allow pet shipping only to cross the long water pathway but not the entire destination distance. These special cruise liners have their specific policies and regulations to ship pets. Some liners give permission to travel with your pet to the private cabin, whereas most of the others ship pets to the kennel. Before confirming the procedure, make sure that there is no harm for your pet in the kennel. I personally never recommend this shipping method.
Shipping by train
According to the Pets on Trains Act (H.R 674), Amtrak permits passengers to carry their fondles inside the train to a private cabin. This method is safe for short distance shipping. The HSUS also suggests so.